In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, students must meet the following program requirements:
- Minimum Semester Hours Required: 96 semester hours beyond the baccalaureate degree.
- Foreign Language Requirements: Students must present evidence of advanced knowledge of a language other than English as it relates to the student’s chosen area of research. Evidence of the ability to pursue research in additional languages may be necessary, depending on the availability of literature in the field selected, and the selection of those languages must be approved by the student’s advisor.
- Course Work: Candidates must complete at least 64 semester hours of course work beyond the master’s degree (minimum of 40 semester hours of coursework and maximum of 24 semester hours of dissertation research). Of this amount, minimum of 32 semester hours must be in 500-level seminars (excluding independent studies such as AH 596 and AH 597. With the approval of the DGS or advisor, 400-level seminars may also be accepted). A minimum of 16 semester hours must be taken in the Art History department.
- Required Core Courses: AH 510 and 511. Students who have taken equivalent course work as part of an MA degree may petition the director of graduate studies for a waiver of specific requirements; no course credit is given for a waived course.
Students who have taken equivalent course work as part of an MA degree may petition the director of graduate studies for a waiver of specific requirements; no course credit is given for a waived course.
Areas of Focus
The PhD program has two major areas of focus:
- Art of the Americas
- Architecture, Design, and Urbanism
Preliminary Examination Required: written and oral, to be taken upon completion of the course work and satisfaction of the language requirement. The written examination will cover the student’s two areas of focus; the oral examination will be based on the written sections.
Dissertation Required: the dissertation will make a contribution to knowledge in art history and will be publicly defended before the scholarly community.
Grade Point Average Requirement
Students must maintain a minimum grade point average of 3.00. No credit will be given for a course taken as part of the doctoral program in which the grade earned was less than a B.